Many of them confuse between common Secretary and company secretary??? Here are important information regarding company secretary.
A company secretary is a senior position in a private sector company or public sector organisation, normally in the form of a managerial position or above. The company secretary is responsible for the efficient administration of a company, particularly with regard to ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and for ensuring that decisions of the board of directors are implemented.
Company Secretary will also interact and coordinate with other functional heads of the company. As a Company Secretary you will need to have a good on subjects like law, management, finance, corporate governance, corporate planning, tax planning and tax management.
Eligibility – Company Secretary
ICSI (The Institute of Company Secretaries of India) which is the CS Institute is the premier National Professional body established by Act of Parliament to develop and regulate the Profession of Company Secretaries. ICSI provides study materials also at the time of registration.
In case of 12th Commerce passed students, to get selected for the C.S. course offered by ICSI, they must go through a 3 stage program.
- There are three stages in CS Course. They are
- Foundation Program – 8 months
- Executive Program – 9 months
- Professional Program 15 months
2. Student has to go 15 months of practical training which may opt after passing the executive program.
3. ICSI Executive program can be pursued after foundation course.
4. Professional program can be pursued after successful completion of the Executive course.
5. After completion of professional course and 15 months training student is joined as Associate Member of the ICSI and called as Associate company secretary (ACS).
6. The students will have to undergo the following training’s after the completion of the course.
- SIP (Student Induction Programme) – 7 days
- Compulsory Computer Training Programme – 70 hours
- EDP (Executive Development Programme) – 8 days
- PDP (Professional Development Programme) – 25 Hours
- Training in a specialized agency – 15 days
- MSOP (Management Skills Orientation Programme) – 15 days
- Articleship Training Programme – 15 months
Course Syllabus for Company Secretary
CS Foundation Subjects
- Business Environment & Entrepreneurship
- Business Management, Ethics and Communication
- Business Economics
- Fundamentals of Accounting and Auditing
CS Executive Subjects
- Company Law
- Cost and Management Accounting
- Economic and Commercial Laws
- Tax Laws and Practice
- Company Accounts and Auditing Practices
- Capital Markets and Securities Laws
- Industrial, Labor and General Laws
CS Professional Subjects
- Advanced Company Law and Practice
- Secretarial Audit, Compliance Management and Due Diligence
- Corporate Restructuring, Valuation and Insolvency
- Information Technology and Systems Audit
- Financial, Treasury and Forex Management
- Ethics, Governance and Sustainability
- Advanced Tax Laws and Practice
- Drafting, Appearances and Pleadings
- Elective one out of five
- Banking Law and Practice
- Capital, Commodity and Money Market
- Insurance Law and Practice
- Intellectual Property Rights – Law and Practice
- International Business-Laws and Practices
Exam detail for company secretary
Examinations are conducted twice a year.
Qualifying marks for CS course are as follows. Student is declared as passed in the Foundation or Executive or Professional exams, if he or she secures at one sitting a minimum of 40% marks in each paper and 50% marks in the aggregate of all subjects.
Skill required to be a Company Secretary
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent command over spoken and written English
• Marketing skills
• Keen business acumen
• Organizing and administrative ability
• Legal aptitude
• Good judgement
• Numerical ability
• Current affairs and general awareness
Job Profiles for Company Secretary
- In-house legal experts or compliance officers in the office.
- Assistance to the Board of Directors
- Expert in corporate laws and corporate governance.
- Company Registrar
- Legal Advisor
- Corporate planner and more roles.
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Principal Secretary
- Corporate Planner
- Government offices
- State Government financial institutions
- Company law boards
- Banks and financial institutions
- Stock exchanges
- Corporate sector
- Company secretaryship firms
- Universities and research centres
- Private practice
Salary – Company Secretary
Depends on the capability of the candidates or the company policy and however on the market reputation of the employer firm. As a fresher you could earn anything between Rs 1, 50,000 – Rs 2, 00,000 depending on the organisation you work with. A senior Company Secretary earns approximately Rs 5, 00,000 or more.
Top College for Company Secretary In India
- ICSI (The Institute Of Company Secretaries Of India) New Delhi
- Loyola College Chennai
- Periyar University Tamil Nadu
- Presidency College Chennai
- Department of Commerce – SRM University Tamil Nadu
- Sardar Patel University Gujarat
- University of Poona Pune
- Punjab University
- University of Bombay
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Aurangabad,