HSC exams are over and you still wondering how to become a Dr. Dentist in India. Here is all information you ever needed to know in order to became Dentist in India. We hope its helpful. 🙂
Dentistry is a profession which involves curing of the health problems that afflict the mouth, teeth, gums and other soft and hard tissues of the oral cavity. It is equivalent to the MBBS and owes the “Dr” domain. In the medical educational field, therefore it is the second choice of the students after the MBBS course.
A dentist, in a way is also an artist. That’s because a dentist can actually fashion your teeth in such a way that you get that dimpled or gummy smile. That’s when he gets time from his routine job of root canal treatment, extraction of cavities, treatment of gums and diseases, aligning and straightening teeth, etc.
- Candidates need a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) to practice as a dentist. There is no specialization there at the bachelor level. The BDS is a 4-year course which is followed by a requisite one year of rotating internship. After graduation, candidates may pursue the PG in Master of Dental Surgery (MDS).
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) :
- Candidates must have passed their 10+2 exams with physics, chemistry and biology as their major subjects.
- Candidates must have scored minimum of 50% marks in their 10+2 exams in order to be eligible to apply for admission in the BDS course.
- The All India Entrance Examination (AIEE) conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is general for both the BDS and the MBBS courses. The candidates are selected on the basis of the base marks obtained in the examination. Based on merit scored by the candidates, the institutions are allocated.
Requirement for becoming Dentist in India:
- Analytical and logical reasoning skill should be above average
- Good scientific reasoning skill
- Ability to memorize and recall scientific facts
- Investigative personality
- Hardworking and patient
- Cool temperament
Specialization Courses in Dentistry:
You can opt for any of this Specialization.
- Orthodontists are dentists who are involved in supervision, guidance, and correction of anomalies in the growing or mature dental and oral skeletal structures.
- Periodontists are involved in the etiology, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases of the gums and teeth. They use techniques like dental implants to prevent and cure the diseases.
- Pediatric Dentists or Pedodontists are concerned with dentistry related to children. Preventive measures for dental anomalies, diseases and prevention, intervention, and correction of various problems fall under this category.
- Endodontists are dentists who deal with the physiology and pathology of the dental tissues. Its practice encompasses biology of dental tissues, etiology, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and injuries of the dental tissues.
- Restorative Dentists are involved in dental fixtures like false teeth, operative dentistry, and other related areas.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons are dentists who are concerned with the surgery of the oral cavity and associated structures. They also treat diseases, injuries, and deformities of the teeth, jaws, and associated structures with the help of surgery.
- Cosmetic dentists are involved with the cosmetic aspects of the teeth and gums. They work to enhance the beauty of these by correcting anomalies if any.
- Oral pathologists are dentists who are involved with the pathology of the oral cavity. They analyse the oral tissue samples, gum secretions, and other related materials to identify causes of oral diseases.
- Forensic odontologists are dentists who work with the forensic department of an investigating agency or in a university department. They analyse samples of teeth from mysterious death or homicide cases.
Dentist Job Opportunities:
- job in a hospital
- setting up your clinic
- work in the Research and Advisory functions of a pharmaceutical and other company producing oral care products and medicines like toothpaste, mouth wash, gum care products, etc.
- Opportunities also lie in the realms of forensic science. You could be at the forefront of solving great mysteries by merely identifying the teeth composition and the age of the tooth.
- dental consultant to models and film artists also fetch a lot of money.
- working as a full or part-time lecturer in any of the reputed dental institutes can be a lucrative option.
- You can also do research work in oral cancer. This has gained tremendous momentum in the recent years and is definitely a well-paying job.
- The initial salary of a dentist may be the Rs. 8000 to Rs. 15,000 per month.
- After getting the experience and good hands on in this field, the candidate may get the handsome salary as 4 to 6 lakh per annum.
- There are more job opportunities to work in the US and the UK in the medical field with handsome salaries.
- You can establish your own clinic and earn around Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 1,00,000 per month.
Top 10 Best Dental School /Colleges in USA:
|2||Salt Lake City, Utah|
|3||Iowa City, Iowa|
|6||San Antonio, Texas|
|10||Los Angeles, California|
Top 16 Best Dental Colleges in India:
|Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science||Delhi|
|Manipal College of Dental Science||Manipal|
|Bapuji Dental College & Hospital||Davangere|
|SDM College of Dental Science & Hospital||Dharwad|
|Govt. Dental College & Hospital||Mumbai|
|Nair Hospital Dental College||Mumbai|
|Government Dental College||Bangalore|
|PG Institute of Dental Sciences||Rohtak|
|Government Dental College||Nagpur|
|Faculty of Dental Sciences, BHU||Varanasi|
|Tamilnadu Govt. Dental College||Chennai|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth Dental College & Hospital||Pune|
|SRM Dental College||Chennai|
|AB Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences||Mangalore|
|Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College and Hospital||Kolkata|
|Saraswati Dental College||Lucknow|