Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that applies physical sciences (physics and chemistry) and life sciences (microbiology and biochemistry). The duration of the UG degree courses is 3 – 4 years.
A Chemical Engineer is the man who uses the natural material or the waste material and turns that into the useful or less harmful for our use. The chemical engineer can work and help with the products like cosmetics, medicine, papers, food & drink, textile, fuel, oil & gas and metallurgy for furniture and vehicle.
Chemical Engineering helps in providing man-made and synthetic material in replacement of limited natural material and resources. Chemical engineering overlaps the other technical fields like, nanotechnology, fuel cells, and biomedical engineering.
The Chemical Engineering curriculum is a strong combination of both theoretical and practical coursework.
Eligibility for Chemical Engineering:
- To pursue an undergraduate course in chemical engineering, candidates should be 10+2 pass with 50% marks in physics, chemistry and mathematics from recognized Board examination.
- The undergraduate degree programmes are leading to the B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) degree courses and the B.Sc (Bachelor of Science) degree courses.
- The postgraduate degree programmes are leading to the M.Tech (Master of Technology) degree courses and the M.Sc (Master of Science) degree courses. The duration of the PG degree courses is 2 years after the completion of undergraduate degree programmes.
Eligibility – Diploma courses for Chemical Engineering: –
- To pursue Diploma course in chemical engineering, candidates should be either Class Xth pass or 10+2 pass in science stream with 50% marks in Physics, Maths and Chemistry subjects from recognized board examination.
Courses offered in Chemical Engineering :
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Chemical Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Chemical Engineering
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering
- Master of Technology in Chemical Engineering
Chemical Engineering Job Prospects:
Industries like Bio-processing industry, Food processing, Agro-chemicals, Drugs and Pharmaceuticals, Petroleum industries are doing well and their future outlook is also encouraging. Chemical engineers will find good career opportunities in these fields.
Pay package as an Chemical Engineering:
Fresher will be Rs. 15,000 per month. The package for Diploma holders varies from Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 12,000 per month.
If you are employed at a chemical plant you start off at Rs 8,000 – 10,000 a month while FMCG companies such as P&G pay between Rs 12,000 – 20,000 a month. Senior engineers can earn anywhere in between Rs 30,000 – 50,000 a month.
Top Colleges offer Chemical Engineering Course:
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IIT Kanpur)
- Adhiparasakthi Engineering College, Tamil Nadu,
- Aditya College of Engineering & Advanced Studies, Gujarat,
- Ahmedabad University , Gujarat
- Alagappa College Of Technology, Chennai
- All India Shri Shivaji Memorial Society’s College of
- Engineering, Pune
- Amity University, Jaipur
- Dwarkadas J. Sanghvi College Of Engineering, Mumbai
- Thadomal Shahani Engineering College, Mumbai
- Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT), Mumbai
- Sardar Patel Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- K.J. Somaiya College Of Engineering, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT KGP)